A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Tuesday, May 07, 2002
posted by Jen at 5/07/2002 08:01:00 PM

Belated greetings from the Happiest Author in the World (well, except for maybe Jean Auel).

I just got back from Book Expo America, this gigantic convention for publishers, booksellers, and the occasional author, and oh, do I have things to report. Like seeing Amy Tan walk the convention floor with her little dog strapped to her chest in a Snugli (why, oh why, can't I bring Wendell to book events? Probably because the chances of Wendell sitting quietly in a Snugli are not so good). And meeting Elizabeth Berg, and getting a galley of Walter Mosley's upcoming book signed by Mr. Mosley himself. And sorry sight of the once-might Talk-Miramax staff -- including the very flack who was oh-so-snooty about not giving me an audience with Tina Brown, way back when -- trying to look as though they enjoyed being there representing only Talk-Miramax books, and didn't mind at all that they no longer had a magazine. Heh.

I went to a Booksense lunch on Friday afternoon, where there were about fifty authors, including Richard Russo, Barbara Ehrenreich and Barbara Kingsolver. After lunch, all of the authors present got to stand up and be acknowledged. Pretty much everyone just got up, gave a fast nod, and sat back down. Me, I figured, when am I ever going to have a chance like this? So when they called my name, I stood up, grabbed a handy copy of GOOD IN BED, and raised it over my head, a la Rocky. Everyone laughed (with me, not at me, I think). It felt pretty amazing.

That afternoon, I did a signing. The publisher provides the books, and you basically sit there scribbling your signature for a solid hour. I got to meet lots of booksellers who'd read the book and loved it, plus a few who seemed disappointed that it wasn't a how-to guide, and folks who were very firm about wanting "signature only, please" (why am I worried that if they won't let me inscribe it to them personally they're going to sell it instead of read it?)

And then I got to go to a fabulous Simon & Schuster soiree at Christie's, the auction house, where I saw Mary Higgins Clark and Barbara Delinsky and Judith McNaught, and everyone was so nice and friendly (I also saw a lovely little Henry Moore sculpture for auction, if you've got $80,000 bucks burning a hole in your pocket). And everyone I met was so excited about IN HER SHOES -- which, as all of you faithful readers know, was supposed to be published in the spring of 2003, but is now coming out in late September. And it looks like I'll be on a twelve-city tour, plus hitting as many Jewish book fairs as I can, so keep watching this space for details.

On a less-thrilling IN HER SHOES note, today was the day to put together the sales pitch for Hollywood. Lucky for me, my brother Jake has relocated to the Left Coast. Somewhat unluckily for him, he's now stuck with trying to sell the thing as a movie.

Now, I'm pretty confident that IN HER SHOES works as a novel. It's got interesting characters, and humor, and pathos, and funny things that happen, and the requisite cute little dog, and all of the things that I thing readers are going to enjoy. But, as a movie...well, here at Casa Weiner we've been wracking our brains to think of the one-sentence pitch. You know, the pitch that says, "It's like Jurassic Park meets Pretty Woman!" Or, "it's like Steel Magnolias in outer space"! And it was, like, impossible to do for IN HER SHOES because IHS is a book about sisters. What's the last movie about sisters that made a profit? (The "made a profit," I've discovered, is an important qualification, because when you tell Hollywood that your movie is "like X meets Y," you'd better believe that if either X or Y lost money, your movie won't get made).

So there we were, crafting the pitch. "It's like Georgia, only it'll make money!" ventured Adam. "It's like "The Other Sister," only without mental retardation!" I said.

"It's like Practical Magic, only without the magic!" said Adam.

"It's like Hanging Up, only not painful to watch!" said I.

So I think we finally decided to say something along the lines of You Can Count on Me, only with sisters, and funny, or A League of Their Own, minus the baseball. And Madonna. And Tom Hanks.

Oy.


| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares