A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Saturday, September 14, 2002
posted by Jen at 9/14/2002 10:53:00 PM

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

I just got back from a wonderful week on Cape Cod -- swimming, sunning, kayaking, watching Wendell chasing seagulls -- and opened up this email:

Dear Ms. Weiner:

About three weeks or so ago, I e-mailed you a fan letter about your book GOOD IN BED, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I waited for your reply.......

Over the years, I've written to many authors, including Michael Douglas' mother. All of them, including Michael Douglas' mother, have written back!!


I cannot understand why I have not received a reply. Nor has my daughter, (NAME DELETED), who also e-mailed you in June. If you are publishing your e-mail address, I am assuming that you'd like to hear from your readers. Even if you have a staff member respond in a form-like e-mail, at least it's a response.

At this time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, I really don't want to form a judgment about you. Therefore, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are busy promoting your new book....which I am anxiously awaiting to read.


However, a quick thank-you to your fans would be appreciated and in good taste. And how easy now that there is e-mail!!!

Best wishes for the New Year.


Oy. Nothing like coming back home to the threat of God's wrath and/or eternal damnation (plus the unfavorable comparison to Michael Douglas's mother.)

So here's a condensed of what I wrote back to Anonymous Correspondent:

I basically have way more email than I can handle at this point -- way, way more email than I ever thought I'd get. And I try to respond to all of it. But, because I don't have an assistant, and because I'm trying to write another book and have some semblance of a life, I've had to institute a form of triage. If someone writes with a specific question -- about the book, about writing in general -- I try to answer. If the correspondent is a teenager, the letter gets moved to the top of the pile.

If the letter is sort of a general appreciation, it gets less priority. If someone writes with a this-is-who-should-play-Cannie-in-the-movie, I'll rarely respond (because, truthfully, that decision will have nothing to do with me). Likewise, if you're sending me your headshots. I am a novelist, not a casting director, and, cute as you all are, there is very little I can do with your headshots.

And here's the regretful decision I've come to. Starting next week, I'm going to have to figure out a way to automatically respond to email with the dread form letter -- a brief missive that will basically say thanks for writing, but I'm on the road with IN HER SHOES, and I don't have time to respond right now. I really do appreciate everyone's emails, and I will still read everything you send me. So many of your emails are so moving, so touching, and I really value everything you've shared with me. I just have to be realistic, especially with a new book coming out in three days and a fourteen-city tour on the horizon.

I never thought I'd have to do this. Then again, I never thought that GOOD IN BED would have this kind of impact, or that I'd get to the point where I've got over a thousand unanswered emails piled up in my in-box, a stack that continues to dwarf the hundreds I've managed to answer.

So there you have it. And I feel lousy about it, especially now that I've got the whole damnation thing to worry about, but I figure that a form letter is better than no letter at all, and I also figure that my writing time is best spent on my books.
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares