A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Friday, December 27, 2002
posted by Jen at 12/27/2002 11:49:00 AM

Happy Almost New Year!

There's been a lot going on -- and, thank goodness, I've finally had a nice quiet uninterrupted spell to really sink my teeth into JEZEBEL BRIGHT -- but really, the only thing I want to talk about is the Bun, who has begun responding to the world outside. The other day I was driving in the car, listening to Clipse, and when the bass kicked in the Bun started moving. I chalked it up to coincidence, but that night Wendell started barking unexpectedly, and the Bun went into what felt like a series of somersaults. It was weird. Wonderful, but weird, too, to know that there's something inside of me that can hear and react to noises. So now every night Adam and I read the Bun "Goodnight Moon." Which is weird, too. I mean, what is the mouse doing in the room? Why doesn't anyone make it leave? And what's with the bowl full of mush? Has it been sitting there all day? Hmm.

We saw "About Schmidt" on Christmas Eve, partaking in the longstanding tradition of the Jewish people where you spend Christmas Eve/Christmas Day alternating between movies and Chinese food, and I surprised myself by liking it better, I think, than my husband did. Yes, there was a level of scorn toward the characters that I could have done without -- and it's lazy filmmaking, I think, to use physical frailities as shorthand for a lack of spiritual richness -- but Jack Nicholson was amazingly restrained. And three cheers for Kathy Bates' nude scene, and for the movie's courage in showing Jack in a hot tub with a woman who's not young enough to be his granddaughter and tiny enough to shop exclusively in the children's department.

And last night we watched "Broadcast News" on TV. Boy, they're not making romantic comedies like this any more, where all three players in the romantic triangle are flawed and fascinating and multi-dimensional, and where the movie has something to say about a subject besides love. Here's Albert Brooks' Aaron Altman on his rival, the slick but shallow pretty-boy newscaster Tom Grunick: "I know you care about him. I've never seen you like this about anyone, so please don't take it wrong when I tell you that I believe that Tom, while a very nice guy, is the Devil..... What do you think the Devil is going to look like if he's around? Nobody is going to be taken in if he has a long, red, pointy tail. No. I'm semi-serious here. He will look attractive and he will be nice and helpful and he will get a job where he influences a great God-fearing nation and he will never do an evil thing... he will just bit by little bit lower standards where they are important. Just coax along flash over substance... Just a tiny bit. And he will talk about all of us really being salesmen."

Hmm. Lowered standards. Flash over substance. I bet every reporter, or former reporter who saw that was nodding along.... and then trying to figure out whether it was the editor, publisher, or managing editor of his or her particular publication or station who was, in fact, Satan. I know that I was.

Finally, here's some news. Watch this space for a major announcement shortly after the New Year about GOOD IN BED on TV. And Philadelphia residents should keep an eye out for the January edition of Philadelphia magazine, and my Jen-on-the-road report, which I'm sorry to report will run under the headline "My Big Fat Book Tour." Hey, don't blame me, blame the editors!
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares