A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Monday, April 28, 2003
posted by Jen at 4/28/2003 08:23:00 PM

Oh boy, today was lousy.

First, I had my non-stress test.

"And when are you due?" the nice nurse inquired.

"Today," I sighed. "And nothing's happening."

The test turned out fine -- the Bun is active, and moving a lot -- but my blood pressure, which has been totally normal throughout the pregnancy, was high. "Have your doctor re-check it," the nurse said.

So I trotted across the street, where I sat in the waiting room talking to other moms-to-be ("Yeah, I'm due today. No, nothing's happening,"). Then the doctor called me in and I learned that I'm still not dilated or effaced at all. And my blood pressure was high again.

"Okay," said my doctor, "here's what we're going to do." He explained that he was worried about preeclampsia -- you may remember it as what caused the pregnant woman's horrible death on the scariest episode of ER ever -- and that he wanted me to go to the hospital so they could monitor my blood pressure, and the baby's movements over a few hours.

"Okay," I said, "so, I should make an appointment on my way out?"

"No," he said, "I want you to go to the hospital right now."

Needless to say, I wasn't hoping to hear the phrase "I want you to go to the hospital right now" today, unless it was followed by "because you're eight centimeters dilated and going to have your baby any minute!"

So Adam and I hurried over to the hospital ("My due date? Why, that would be today! And no, nothing's happening! Thanks for asking!"). And I spent three hours wedged on a hospital bed, lying on this one very specific portion of my left side, because every time I moved we'd lose the baby's heartbeat on the monitor, having blood drawn and my blood pressure and temperature taken and a variety of residents and nurses come through to ask me all kinds of questions. A nurse drew blood from the back of my hand and then, after she only got three out of four vials of blood, from my elbow. The woman on the other side of the curtain entertained a parade of visitors and chatted noisily on her cell phone, because apparently those "PLEASE DO NOT USE CELL PHONES; THEY INTERFERE WITH HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT" signs applied to everyone else in the hospital except her. We saw her shuffle by on her way up to labor and delivery. "Somewhere," Adam whispered, "a tanning bed is missing its customer."

My legs fell asleep. Then my butt fell asleep. But I was afraid to move and mess up the monitoring. I sucked on ice chips and watched "Pardon the Interruption" on ESPN (which should tell you how desperate I was).

The bottom line, after three hours, is that everything's fine. My blood pressure was normal ten times in a row. The blood work came back fine. The Bun is still swimming around most happily. I'm going to have another non-stress test on Thursday, assuming still no baby. Between now and then, I'm planning on doing lots of walking, and as little fretting as possible.

Meanwhile, check this out -- the LA Times is running my whiny weblog posts verbatim! Am not sure whether to be flattered or call them up demanding royalties.

| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares