A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Friday, March 01, 2002
posted by Jen at 3/01/2002 09:12:00 AM

I went to sleep at night thinking all's right with the world. I woke up this morning to discover that Fox has gotten Tonya Harding to box Amy Fisher.

Then I did my daily check at Amazon and discovered that the site's posted, like, every bad reader review my book has ever gotten right there on the front page ("This book is a cross between Jemima J., Bridget Jones and I don't know what!" Yeah, babe. And your prose is a cross between Hooked on Phonics, Tom Shales on a bad day, and I don't know what either.).

So I took Wendell for his walk, and was making myself all kinds of promises about how I wasn' t going to let reader reviews determine my sense of worth and happiness, and the sun was shining, and I was starting to feel the tiniest bit better when we walked past the Xando on 2nd and Lombard and saw the dread words: "CLOSING FOR RENOVATIONS from 3/5 to LATE MARCH."

Nooooooooooo!

See, Xando's where I work. Five days a week, I pack up my laptop, set myself up with some Earl Grey tea, and write my childish, disappointing, derivative, silly, insult-to-intelligent-women-everywhere prose. It's the perfect place -- big enough so that it doesn't get crowded, but still cozy, and I can almost always get a table near a power outlet. It's got huge windows that open onto the street, so there's always something to look at, and on warm days they open them up. And they play good music. It is, in short, the absolute perfect place to spend three hours or so every day. And it's going to be closed during March -- the month I've got to devote to heavy-duty revisions of IN HER SHOES before the book tour starts. And then it's going to be a coffee bar/sandwich shop. Which means it's going to be noisy and crowded and I'll never get a good seat again.

I can't get as much work done at home. Too many distractions -- telephone, Internet, unfolded laundry. Plus, after ten years in newspaper newsrooms, I actually work better when there are other people around. And the small indie coffee shops won't do -- too cramped, too dark, no windows, tables too small for laptop, weird clientele. So where am I supposed to work now? Freakin' Starbucks?

Grr.
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares