A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Thursday, March 14, 2002
posted by Jen at 3/14/2002 11:15:00 PM

Wow. Talk about coming full circle. I walked by the Borders on Walnut Street -- which faithful readers of this site will remember as the place where I saw the first-ever hardcover of GOOD IN BED on sale -- and they've got paperbacks! Lots and lots and lots of paperbacks, stacked in intimidating stacks right by the door! Plus, there's a book in the window, tucked beneath a sheet between two pillows. It looks fabulous! And I'm so proud of myself for not hanging around and harassing innocent browsers until they bought a copy. Self-control. It's what I'm all about.

So. Lots to report. First of all, The Amazing Race, which I am hereby declaring the greatest reality TV show of all time. Yes, I know, it's on against West Wing (which, true confession, I've never gotten into), but it's great, and gripping, and stars interesting people -- a pair of sisters, a pair of identical twins, ministers with odd haircuts, grandmothers with bad knees. But more than that, it's the premise of the show that's so gripping. Start with the basic fact that travel is hell, full of inconvenience and discomfort and things you can't control. Then amp it up with speed, great editing, and a million-dollar carrot. It's totally gripping. Completely addictive. And I actually found myself cheering for the married reverends (which Television Without Pity has nicknamed Team Jeebus). Yikes. Of course, I only caught the last four minutes of Survivor last night, because I forgot about the basketball. Evidently someone peed on someone else. Now that's entertainment.

Next: Rosie O'Donnell. I watched most of the Primetime special, which I thought was awfully heavy-handed and didactic ("Coming up....we meet a bigoted white guy who says gays can't be parents. And the two men who've taken in five biracial crack-addicted babies with AIDS, and cancer, in wheelchairs, and turned them into a state champion basketball team.") I mean, really!

But Rosie impressed me. I thought she was courageous, and brave, and said all the right things about why any loving, committed couple should be allowed to adopt, and how the kids of gay parents don't necessarily turn out gay any more than the kids of straight parents always turn out straight. I'll be interested to see what happens next -- whether there'll be a backlash from viewers of her show and readers of her magazines who feel duped or morally offended. Or whether, as I sort of suspect, it won't be much of a big deal to anyone.

Finally, a confession: I ordered 10 of the discounted remaindered hardcovers from amazon. Think David Vise on a much, much smaller scale. I bought them with no intention of selling them, with no real plans except some vague sense of rescue -- that I'd be saving them from being remaindered, which is a sad fate for a book, and giving them a home. The books arrived today, in a box with Kelly Link's Stranger Things Happen and Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair, and I have to say that they're a sort of sad-looking bunch. Eight of the ten have black magic-marker slashes across the bottom of the pages, a few of them are look beat-up and tired, and one of them has a smear of either dirt or chocolate on the inside cover. I wonder where they've been -- in amazon's warehouses the whole time? In bookstores, who sold them to amazon? Either way, I'm glad they're here. Maybe I'll think of some kind of contest, and give them away to lucky weblog readers. Suggestions, anyone?
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares