A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Monday, July 01, 2002
posted by Jen at 7/01/2002 10:40:00 PM

Oh, who's getting the boot from AMERICAN IDOL? I saw the teaser commercial last night, and I've been obsessing ever since. Is it Jim? Could it be? Am I that lucky? Is it God's way to compensating me for the fact that it's about 100 degrees here in Philadelphia, and that, even as we speak, old people are boiling to death like so many superannuated stewed tomatoes?

Probably not. (Although any heat wave reminds me of one of my all-time favorite headlines from The Onion -- "If the Heat Doesn't Kill the Elderly, I Will.")

I've been meaning to write about the coolest part of the film deal for IN HER SHOES. First, the deal was done by my brother, Jake, who's moved to the Left Coast and works for a talent management and production company called BenderSpink. For weeks, we were in constant contact, until the deal finally went down, smack dab in the middle of my first meal at Canyon Ranch.

I was sitting in the dining hall when my cell phone started ringing -- embarrassing enough, because you're not supposed to talk on cell phones, as it diminishes the relaxing atmospshere, and also because my phone's ring tone is "Get Ur Freak On."

I picked it up and whispered "hello." Jake told me we had an offer, and walked me through the specifics. I told him it sounded just fine.

"So I should close it?" he asked.

"Sure," I said.

"Say it," he instructed.

"Close it," I murmured.

"Louder!" he said.

I took a deep breath, ignoring the disapproval of my fellow spa-sters, and mustered my best impression of a Hollywood big shot. "CLOSE IT!"

Heh. My one would-be mogul moment.

So Adam and I are off to Vermont for the weekend. Wendell will be staying at his country home in Connecticut, as fireworks cause him to hide, trembling, behind the toilet tank (I think sometimes he perceives the noise as the start of war against the dogs...and, as you might imagine, there are fireworks aplenty in Philadelphia on the Fourth of July).

If you're looking for something to read, I cannot say enough about THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Sebold, which lives up to all its hype and then some. And if you're worried that the New York Times has fallen off its piece-a-week pace on Gary Shteyngart, author of THE RUSSIAN DEBUTANTE'S HANDBOOK, fear not.
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares