A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Monday, May 05, 2003
posted by Jen at 5/05/2003 04:35:00 PM

Oh, boy, do I wish I had some happy baby news to post right about now.

I had a bunch of contractions last night and got very excited. Then they stopped. But they left me in a very good mood, because I thought that things could maybe finally be starting to happen. "I think we should try reverse psychology," I said to Adam. "Like, let's tell the Bun that today isn't a good day to be born, because your birthday will coincide with cheesy Cinco de Mayo festivities and two-for-one margarita specials."

So I bounced down to the prenatal diagnosis office for non-stress-test number three and an ultrasound to check on position, amniotic fluid levels and size. NST went great -- the Bun is happy and moving. The heart rate looks good, fluid level looks good, and the Bun remains head down. Size....well size was another story.

"Ooh," said the technician, sliding the monitor over my belly. "This is not a small baby."

Well, I knew that already -- from previous ultrasounds and from discussions with my doctor. I also know that ultrasounds get notoriously inaccurate as the pregnancy progresses, to the point that the technician said that her number could be off by as much as a pound and a half in either direction.

That being said, the Bun, at present, appears to be somewhere upwards of nine pounds.

Youch.

Then it was time for the discussion with my doctor that I really didn't want to have -- the one about what we do if the Bun appears content to stay in the warm and sheltering confines of my uterus, and we get to the 42-week point. Yes, you probably guessed it -- with a baby they think is big, and a mom whose cervix hasn't done squat, it's C-section time.

And right now, the thought of that has me a little sad and scared.

As faithful readers may remember, Adam and I really wanted to at least try natural childbirth. We took a nine-week-long Bradley class to get ready. We've read a zillion books, done exercises, practiced relaxation, hired a doula. I've gone swimming and walking and done prenatal yoga, and spent more hours than I care to count squatting on my birth ball when I would have rather been snuggled on the couch. And up until last week's blood-pressure scare, the pregnancy's been textbook normal. I've been healthy. The Bun's been healthy. All systems seemed to be go.

And a C-section....well, I've got friends and relatives who swear by them, who say that they wouldn't give birth any other way, that it's a breeze, the kid comes out looking gorgeous and recovery is no big deal (plus, you get to stay in the hospital for five days, instead of being booted after two. And they don't let you leave until after you've pooped, which offers its own special level of excitement. I mean, how, exactly, are you supposed to relay that information to your caretakers? Do they follow the lead from the Vatican and look for white smoke coming out from underneath the bathroom door? Or maybe just the smell of air freshener? ).

The thing is, for so long I've been picturing going through labor with Adam beside me, holding my hands and rubbing my back and making me laugh (or at least trying to). I've imagined giving birth and holding the Bun in my arms and nursing right away. And with a C-section, there'd be no labor, no hand-holding or back rubbing, no chance to try out all the things I've learned and practiced and rehearsed in my mind. There'd be an operating room, a sterile field, a bunch of nurses and doctors. I know they'd put the Bun on top of me, but my arms would be strapped down so I wouldn't necessarily be able to hold or feed my baby immediately. Plus, surgery is still surgery. I've never had an operation, and I find the prospect pretty frightening.

And the idea of my body just never going into labor....well, I know it shouldn't make me feel like a failure, or like I've done something wrong. But right now it sort of does.

"I know it's not the birth you've been planning," my doctor said gently (he was probably being gentle because I probably looked as if I was going to have a nervous breakdown before I even got my feet out of the stirrups.) "Take some time to think about it. I'll see you Thursday. Maybe before."

And Adam says not to worry about things initially not being the way I'd imagined, what with the snuggling and the nursing and the rose-tinted glow. He points out that we've got years and years to love our baby, and that in the grand scheme of things the first few hours won't matter so much. I know that's true, too, and I'm trying to think positive and focus on the good news -- no matter how it happens, I'll have an actual baby by next Monday.

Thanks to everyone who's written in with encouragement and suggestions. Keep sending good thoughts my way!
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares