A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Wednesday, October 01, 2003
posted by Jen at 10/01/2003 02:54:00 PM

I may be in trouble here.

The Posh Tots catalogue has arrived.

I know, I know, it's ridiculous to even think of spending eight hundred and ninety-five dollars on a Pink Glass Italian Chandelier. Or a thousand bucks on a set of baby sheets. Or twelve hundred dollars for the Vintage Changer. But damn if I don't want at least one thing on every single page.

Why did they send me this? How did they get my name? And do they arrange to hit new moms when we're at our most exhausted and vulnerable, aiming for that moment of weakness or desperation where we'd actually believe that a thirteen-hundred-dollar Fantasy Wall Hanging will restore our vision of motherhood as a time of peace and bliss?

Must remain strong. Must not obsess over pictures of Brooke Shields' nursery in recent People magazine. Must remind self that own baby is at least as cute as Rowan Frances, even if own baby does not have Wendy Bellissimo-designed room in which to slumber.

In fact, may even resort to malicious fantasy that Brooke Shields' baby, in early act of rebellion, refuses to even sleep in fabulously cute nursery, instead preferring to invade parents' bed on nightly basis.

Anyhow. Life with La Lu is great, even without a Black Toile Rocker-Glider or a Screen Door Armoire (a mere $4500!)

We had a wonderful trip to Connecticut for Rosh Hashanah. Between my Mom and my Nanna, and then all my Mom's friends, I think I had Lucy in my arms for a sum total of fifteen minutes. Occasionally I'd catch a glimpse of a foot or an elbow, but that was about it.

Lucy acquitted herself nobly, impressing everyone with her pleasant nature, smiles, gurgles, and sleep habits. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself until my Mom took me out for a walk.

"You know that it has nothing to do with you," she said.

"Huh?"

"Lucy," she said. "Lucy sleeps well and is happy because that's her nature. You had nothing to do with it. And I don't want you to feel like you're doing something wrong if you next baby isn't so sweet or so smiley."

"I don't get to take any credit for this?"

"Nope," said my mother. "She is the way she is. All you can do is encourage it."

So there you have it. And whether or not I get to take any credit for having a most excellent baby, it was nice to spend the holiday with family and my Mom's friends. Lots of them were at our wedding, and it was really special to have them meet Lucy for the first time.

And when we got home, Lucy had her first rice cereal!

It was fun, but a little anticlimactic. She seems more interested in the accessories of dining -- sucking on the bib, gnawing on the spoon -- than the food itself. But who can blame her? The stuff looks like paste from a pot, which is about the way it tastes, too.

Ah, well. In a few weeks, it'll be on to oatmeal. Then mashed bananas. Then the world!
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares