A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Saturday, March 27, 2004
posted by Jen at 3/27/2004 07:21:00 PM

I'm back from my one-night stand in Los Angeles. I had a wonderful time. The reading at the Marina Rinaldi boutique went very well. Perhaps because none of the audience members -- or the outfits -- had anything to say about Dachau.

The crowd was full of friendly faces, including Pamie and Stee of literary, performance, and Television Without Pity fame, and not one, not two, but all three of the other Weiner siblings. Who are now all living in Los Angeles. Which upsets my mother to no end.

My favorite question about life as a writer was "how long do your sessions last?"

Sessions. See, I never would have thought of the hours I spent in Neighborhood Branch of Unnamed Chain Coffee Shop as "sessions." To me, "sessions" has a vaguely sexual connotation. "Your session's up. Now go put your pants back on!"

But the answer is four hours. No more, sometimes less.

And I got good news on both the IN HER SHOES movie front and GOOD IN BED on HBO front....nothing official, nothing on the record on that end, but things are moving along nicely, which is all yr. obed't author can hope for.

Meanwhile, I leave, I come back, and they STILL haven't figured out who Jane Austen Doe is?

I know Amy Bloom was the odds-on favorite for a while, but having read (and thoroughly enjoyed) EVEN A BLIND MAN CAN SEE HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU, I wasn't convinced. She writes with such grace and lacerating wit in her fiction that the tone of the Salon piece didn't sound a thing like her. Also, J.A.D. talked about ditching her day job for the literary life, where I'm pretty sure that Amy Bloom continues to work as a therapist, in addition to her writing.

And Anne Lamott? Well, BLUE SHOE made the Times list in hardcover, which I think takes you officially out of the Land of Midlist. It's hard to imagine that OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS isn't still in print, as every young mother I know got a copy from her hipster friends at a baby shower. Plus, it's hard to imagine Anne Lamott ghost-writing a celebrity bio. Unless the celebrity was Michael Moore. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and hard to imagine that J.A.D. isn't going to be outed sooner rather than later.

So I'm home. And I'm chilling. And tomorrow's my birthday! If you feel like doing something nice -- and free -- go to the comments sections at www.getcosi.com, and tell them that they need to add some changing tables, as yr. obed't author is tired of changing her daughter's diapers on their bathroom floor.

| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares