A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Tuesday, November 16, 2004
posted by Jen at 11/16/2004 11:08:00 PM

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for all of the supportive and thoughtful emails about my weblog privacy dilemma.

If I can summarize the responses I've gotten, it would go something like this:

One: Please do not let one wackadoo ruin it for the rest of us, but....

Two:...if you decided you needed to pull back and be less personal about your family, we'd understand.

Part of what's been going on here is that I'm a little tired, and frazzled from having spent so much of September and October on the road, with the little one in tow for much of it.

The other piece of it is that a young woman was beaten to death by a med-school classmate here in Philadelphia. It was a horrible crime, and it happened in broad daylight, on a Sunday afternoon, in my neighborhood, at the supermarket I'm in and out of oh, basically, every other day. Which got me thinking about the crazies, and how it just takes one nutjob with a grudge, and your whole life's changed forever.

On the other hand, of the many emails I got, one was from a mother whose daughter, like mine, was a late walker. She wrote about how comforting it was to find that she wasn't the only mom with the only baby in that situation, and how this weblog made her feel less alone.

And I thought that's something I can feel proud of: writing books (or even weblog entries) that can make people feel a little bit less lonely in the world.

So there will be some changes I'll be making in my private life that none of you will hopefully even ever notice.

As far as the weblog, I am reluctantly toying with the idea of pseudonyms for my loved ones. Which sucks. Here's why.

When I was pregnant, I was completely, absolutely convinced that I was going to have a boy.

Looking back, I have no rational explanation for this certitude, except that the year I got pregnant I sold the film rights to my first two books, got my first royalty check for GOOD IN BED and signed a contract for books three and four. I made more money that year than any other year in my life and, given the disparity between male and female salaries, I just figured that there had to be a penis involved somewhere.

I was shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- when the neonatologist peered at the little TV screen and said, "I'm not seeing any boy stuff."

The husband and I had agreed on our boy's name basically as soon as the double lines came up on the EPT test. We never even got around to discussing girls' names because I was so convinced that my first child would be, per The Godfather, a male one.

We had to spend the last eighteen weeks of my pregnancy scrambling madly to come up with a girl's name we could both agree on. And, when your name is Jennifer and you've spent your entire life being one of three or four Jennifers in any given classroom, soccer field or birthday party, you take a great deal of care not to give your daughter a really popular name.

So Hannah, much as I loved it, was out. Sophie, which I also adored, was out. Olivia was a contender, but my brother and sister-in-law beat me to the punch.

Then it came down to the name that I loved that my husband didn't (Daisy), and the name that he loved that I also liked but thought might have been a bit much for a little girl (Eleanor).

It came right down to the wire before we came up with the One True Name.

And now I've got to think of another one. Or at least a cute nickname. Not to mention amending eighteen months' worth of archives.

Sigh. Maybe I'll just call her Voldemort.


| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares