A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Monday, January 24, 2005
posted by Jen at 1/24/2005 02:51:00 PM

A little old lady in a blue sweater and a gray beret just walked into the coffee shop and stared at me. "Dawn?" she said.

"No," I said, smiling.

"Oh! You look just like someone I know."

I smiled, she shrugged, and went to get a cup of coffee. When I looked up, she was staring at me again.

"Are you the lady from American Street?" she demanded.

"No."

"Huh!" More staring. "You look like two different people I know!"

"And I'm just me!" I said.

Anyhow, it's cold in the coffee shop, and the floor's all wet and slippery from melted snow, and my fingers are stiff and my brain feels half-frozen. We got about a foot of snow on Saturday, and yesterday it was too cold and windy to go out for long. Want to know how Lu and I have been whiling away our indoor hours?

By tracing her foot on the Magnadoodle.

"Foot! Toe! Draw!" Lucy will say, plopping her bare foot on the board. I'll trace. She'll giggle. I'll erase it, and the whole thing will start over again.

Forty-five minutes of the foot on the Magnadoodle, accompanied by the sounds of "Mahna Mahna" on repeat.

I hope this is our only blizzard this winter.

In other news, I sent a query to The New Yorker, proposing a short, funny piece I'd like to do for them, and haven't heard so much as a "thanks but no thanks" email in response.

So now, of course, I'm convinced that every editor in the place is sitting around wiping tears of hysterical laughter off of their cheeks at the thought of the author of GOOD IN BED writing for them. That they've posted my query on some communal bulletin board so everyone can stand around and making pithy, epigrammatic bon mots about the absolute hilarity of a chick lit author sullying their pages. That John Updike's made a special trip to Manhattan just to mock me.

If only my paranoia could keep me warm...
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares