A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Tuesday, February 27, 2007
posted by Jen at 2/27/2007 04:28:00 PM

Updates: The national chapter of Delta Zeta claims that its actions were misunderstood.

They didn’t boot all the plus-size and minority girls for failing to be thin and blond….they booted them for failing to recruit actively enough. It was just a total coincidence that only the thin, blond girls were asked to stay. Total coincidence! Really!

I do love to see a good backpedal. Burns so many calories, don’tcha know.

In other news, good seats are still available at the WXPN benefit I’ll be attending Thursday night.

And now, for the most embarrassing thing I’ll ever admit on the Internet (and believe me when I tell you that that's saying something).

On Saturday morning, the girl got sick. Lethargic, glassy-eyed, complaining that her tummy hurt, not wanting to get dressed or off the couch. I gave her juice, bundled her in a blanket, and put on some Noggin. Eventually, it occurred to me to take her temperature.

It was 103.5.

Whoa.

So I called the pediatrician, where the triage nurse said that with belly pain and a fever like that, it was probably a good idea to head to the emergency room.

We got into the minivan and were on our way. Traffic was crawling, as traffic does in Center City on the weekends. At Fifth and Bainbridge, we came to a standstill, stuck behind a trash truck. I looked out my window and saw two kids and two grownups standing behind a cardboard box, with a sign that said GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!

Now, understand: our car was not moving. There was the trash truck in front of us, and a red light beyond that.

And I love Thin Mints. Love love love Thin Mints. It is one of the biggest drawbacks of not working in an office that I no longer have access to the Thin Mints. I have been begging my husband on a regular basis to please bring me home some cookies (“Aren’t there any people in your office with kids in Girl Scouts? No? How about other offices? Well, can’t you just make friends with some eight-year-old girls?”)

Every time I’m out and about with the girl and the dog, I’ve been keeping an eye out, thinking I’d come across a rogue troop selling their wares door-to-door. And here, mere inches from our let-me-repeat-not-going-anywhere-minivan, were the goods.

I looked at Adam. Adam looked at me. I pulled fifteen dollars out of my wallet. “Roll down the window! Get three boxes of Thin Mints! Tell them to keep the change! We can do it before the light turns green!”

He looked at me with a look that said, We’re taking our child to the emergency room and you want to stop for Girl Scout cookies?

“Well, we’re stopped anyhow! Just let me out of the car. I’ll catch up to you at the corner!”

He gave me another look. This look said, roughly, You Are Going to Burn in Hell, You Horrible, Horrible Woman. Then he hit the child safety lock on my door. Bastard.

I put the money back. We sat there until the trash truck moved and light turned green, and proceeded without incident to the ER where, let me tell you, if you show up with a kid with a fever that high holding her belly, things happen with a quickness.

Bottom line, after a variety of tests, X-rays and ultrasounds we had a diagnosis: the girl had a virus. We were sent home with instructions to give her Tylenol and apple juice. She has since made a complete recovery.

And I still got no Thin Mints.
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares