A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Saturday, January 05, 2008
posted by Jen at 1/05/2008 01:38:00 PM

I was sitting in the den the other, feeding the baby and watching a little TV, when my indefatigable assistant bounced into the room to ask me something undoubtedly important and work-related.

“Oh!” she said, looking at the screen. “Are you watching Beerfest again?”

At first, I blurted “No!”

Then I downgraded that to, “Maybe.”

Then I patiently explained that there were important plot points that I’d missed the first time I’d watched it, at two in the morning on Saturday. Or possibly Sunday. It’s all kind of a blur. Then I said, “stop judging me!” and quietly wondered whether I’d ever had her sign one of those nondisclosure agreements, in which she would promise never to write a tell-all book about the hell that is my employ. (And this may just be the sleep deprivation talking, but Beerfest is a damn funny movie).

Prior to the baby’s birth, I packed a suitcase with all the stuff you need in the hospital: robe and slippers, cell phone and charger, sassy, specially-purchased outfit for baby to wear home. And on the appointed day, I shucked off her hospital tee shirt and put her into her outfit.

The outfit didn’t fit.

Phoebe, you’ll remember, was born weighing seven pounds, and when I slipped her into her Japanese-print kimono-style footed one-piece outfit, complete with matching blanket and hat, she looked like one of the Project Runway ladies who’d recently lost sixty pounds and hadn’t acquired new clothing. Her arms floated in the sleeves, her toes barely scraped the outfit’s knees, and the hat settled gently over the bridge of her nose.

“You need a smaller size,” said my husband.

“There is no smaller size!” I said, pointing to the 0-to-3-months label. “What’s smaller than zero?”

I have since learned to my chagrin that I was wrong. There is a smaller size than zero. There is size Newborn, which fits babies up to eight pounds, and which I never needed the first time around, because Phoebe’s big sister was born two weeks late and never weighed less than eight pounds.

If I was feeling really cynical, I’d say that this was evidence of the Rachel Zoe-fication of the infant world, the seeds of girls’ endless desire to be smaller, matched by an endless abundance of clothing in tinier and tinier sizes.

Instead, I just shlepped off to Babies R Us and bought some size Newborn onesies and pajamas. Which the girl outgrew in her first month on the planet. Luckily, the one friend I have who’s expecting has demonstrated a tendency toward having teeny tiny babies, so I washed and folded everything and will be handing it off to her shortly.
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares