A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Monday, January 21, 2008
posted by Jen at 1/21/2008 05:56:00 PM

The other day, a well-meaning acquaintance asked if I was “still on vacation.” And I was, all, ha! Vacation! Yes, that’s exactly what this is...a veritable spa getaway! You can enjoy it, too, even if you don't have a seven-week-old handy. Just sit around your house in drawstring pants writing thank-you notes and, every two or three hours, arrange for someone to come over and scream at the top of his/her lungs, then attach a clothespin to your tender bits and leave it there for twenty minutes. Repeat indefinitely.

Not that I’m complaining. Phoebe is the kind of baby who lulls you into a sense of competence and mastery suggesting that you are good at this baby-having thing. In the middle of the night, as she stares adoringly at your forehead, you will think to yourself that you could even have ANOTHER baby if you wanted one (ha!)

She is happy to hang out in her stroller or her sling, at home or out on the town. She sleeps in restaurants and coffee shop and through Patriots games. She cries when she’s hungry. Otherwise, she’s content to lie in her basket or bouncy seat, gazing thoughtfully at the light fixture and belching, which is more or less how I spent my junior year of college.

Also, she likes it when you sing “Bicycle Built for Two” or “You Are My Sunshine.”

The good news is, in between “Rock of Love” marathons and thank-you note writing, I’ve been getting a fair amount of reading done.

Sue Miller has a new book out that I do not recommend for new mothers. My shelfmate Joseph Weisberg has a new book out, too – I have no idea whether it's good for new mothers, but it looks interesting. Max Apple has a funny/sad collection of short stories that I would recommend highly to new mothers and everyone else even if we weren’t related (it's called The Jew of Home Depot, which may be the best title ever).

Alice Munro’s old book has a new cover that is generating some discussion.

Stephen King’s new book should be here today (I pre-ordered). And doesn't this book look an awful lot like that book?

I am slooowly making my way through Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth – yes, I know, another Oprah-anointed dude, but at least he’s not among the critically-beloved brethren whose books I’ve read already, and I’m liking it so far.

And I’m even writing a little bit, here and there. When you’ve got a book to promote, you go to magazines and say, “Want to write about my book?” And the editors say, “We have an even better idea. How about you write something for us, and we’ll mention the book at the end of it?"

I’m working on magazine pieces about friendship, about being competitive, about why you should not sleep with your boyfriend in high school. The problem is, all of the magazines want you to have epiphanies, so that your essay can end with a pithy assessment of the Life Lessons I Have Learned From my friend, or my competitive nature, or my high-school boyfriend.

Needless to say, life does not always provide a tidy, print-ready lesson. But I’m trying.
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares