A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Sunday, August 10, 2008
posted by Jen at 8/10/2008 08:11:00 PM

If you’re looking for a good book to take to the beach, I recommend Jennifer Haigh’s THE CONDITION, which reminded me a lot of THE CORRECTIONS, in very good ways.
Beside the title (and I wonder whether that was a deliberate echo?) both of the books take as their subject two generations of families with two sons, one a flaky academic, and a daughter.



Both books deal with the way illness can effect a marriage and the relationships between parents and children; husbands and wives. In THE CORRECTIONS, it’s the patriarch’s Alzheimer’s; in THE CONDITION, it’s something called Turners syndrome, a chromosomal abnormality which keeps youngest daughter Gwen permanently the size, and body shape, of a twelve-year-old.

Gwen will never hit puberty, never top five feet, never have children: but she’s not the only member of the McKotch family with a defining and, at times, debilitating, condition. One of the sons is gay and closeted; another diagnoses himself with adult A.D.D. after his boy gets kicked out of school. Mom is as chilly as the house she keeps at 55 degrees, the better to maintain her antiques; Dad can’t keep it zipped, and everyone worries about poor Gwen, and what kind of life she can possibly have.

The book is wonderfully written; the characters, and the worlds they inhabit are beautifully drawn, from the oldest son’s just-so sushi dinners to the younger son’s messy, kid-infested ranch, and the cheaply-built McMansion his wife covets. Romance bloom, marriages crash and burn, children and friends and lovers slip in and out of the story, all of them the beneficiaries of Haigh’s generous heart: she’s found something to love about all of her characters, even the horrible ones, or the ones who do horrible things. There’s a juicy romance, a devastating betrayal, and a bittersweet, entirely rewarding ending…which, like the book’s opening chapter, is set on Cape Cod.

I saw it in a bookshop in Provincetown right next to Andre Aciman’s CALL ME BY YOUR NAME. Are faceless swimmers the headless bodies of the oughties?



On a lighter note, I devoured, and adored BRINGING HOME THE BIRKIN, the story of how one man turned the fashionable set’s obsession with Hermes’ signature handbag into a handsome, globe-trotting career (he figured out a formula for obtaining dozens of the coveted bags that did not involve languishing on a two-year-long waiting list, then sold them on eBay). It’s got fun, fashion, scenic locales (Capri! Paris! Luxembourg!), mouthwatering descriptions of posh hotels and fine dining, and a non-purse-person-friendly explanation of why the Birkin is, you know, the Birken, and why there are people in the world who will pay upwards of $20,000 for a place to stash their keys and cell phone.

I tried to be a bag girl, a few years back. In Los Angeles, on the advice of my sister-in-law’s BFF, who works as a stylist, I plopped down big bucks for a pink Marc Jacobs bag. It was pretty, but never super-practical (I like hobo-style bags with one long strap that are big enough to hold a few books, keys, wallet, cell phone and, if necessary, diapers, extra baby/kid clothing and/or a change of shoes).

Then I left an uncapped Sharpie rolling around in there, and the bag’s interior got all marked up with black ink.

Then I read somewhere that Marc Jacobs will not cut clothes bigger than a size 10 because he doesn’t want the fats to wear his garments…and after that I never felt right carrying the bag (this could totally be an urban legend, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Marc Jacobs garment bigger than a 10).

So my Nanna inherited the Marc Jacobs, and these days I’m all about Tano bags, which are chic and comfortable and not crazy expensive, although my current bag is a bright cotton floral print that I picked up for $9.99 at Marshalls.

Finally, lit-land’s buzzing about this piece about the blurb hunt, in which a well-connected literary novelist seems honestly perplexed, and seriously pissed, that her published peers did not elbow one another out of the way in order to sing her praises. Best section:

I made a list of the kind-of-famous writers I kind of know and went to work. As luck would have it, I spotted one that very week at a book party for a novelist held in a swanky gallery on the Upper East Side. My target was a midlevel, moderately successful novelist who wrote the kind of smart, sophisticated books I imagined my reader might enjoy. The daughter of a famous novelist herself, she had no idea what total obscurity looked like, but I'd known her vaguely for years and we shared at least one mutual friend. Fortified by a glass of white wine,
I made my way toward her. "Hi," I said a little too brightly. Was it my imagination, or was she already moving away from me? After a few forced pleasantries, I brought up the book and asked if she might be willing to read it. The expression on her face -- part horror, part sneer -- was exactly what I would have expected had I released a large fart and asked what she thought of it.

"I'm really busy right now," she answered, turning her back. After that, I stuck to e-mail. Electronic humiliation is so much more tolerable.

Huh. Do you think after she approached the writer, she wandered over to a dentist, said, “My molar’s been bugging me,” then tilted back her head so she could take a look? Did she interrupt a dermatologist, mid-bite, to complain about her oozing rash and ask for an appointment the next morning?
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares