A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Friday, January 01, 2010
posted by Jen at 1/01/2010 10:26:00 AM

Last week, an editor at the Times wrote and asked for my New Year’s reading resolutions. After I scraped myself off the floor, I submitted about a paragraph’s worth of resolutions, which got whittled down to two sentences (with a hyperlink for Gary Shteyngart, and none for me, because, other than the bestseller list, what would they link to? The Times, she does not cover my books).

Here's the in-full, annotated version of what I submitted:

In 2010, I will not reflexively assume that all-male best-books-of-the-year lists or book reviews that ignore romance and chick lit are evidence of a vast sexist plot. It could totally be a coincidence. Yes, it could. (Author’s note: the editor didn’t want to include this because she argued that not everyone was familiar with the Publishers Weekly kerfuffle after its best-books-of-the-year list included no women. Also, I assume that it’s regarded as bad form to let authors trash your section in your section).

In terms of the Russians, I will read Anna Karenina, and stop using Gary Shteyngart’s last name as a curse word, even though it is extremely effective. (Author’s note: this is true. I actually do use Gary Shteyngart’s last name as a curse word, and have ever since the Times ran two reviews of his book, plus a lengthy wet kiss of a profile in the magazine. This is nothing personal against Shteyngart who, male acquaintances assure me, is actually quite funny – I’d use Charles Bock’s last name if it was a little more dirty-sounding).

If an author says her favorite beach read is “The Mill on the Floss,” I will nod politely, instead of rolling my eyes and muttering “as if” or “pretentious much?” (Author’s note: I will not link to the writer who swore, in the Times, that she does indeed shlep “The Mill on the Floss” to the beach each summer. I will merely note that I read this and muttered ‘Shteyngart!’)

I resolve to write an edgy, creepily personal account of my devotion to an outre sexual practice so that my work will be reviewed by the Times and I myself will become a Times reviewer and change the paper’s policies from the inside out. Toni Bentley, watch your ass. (Author’s note: Toni Bentley is the author of a memoir called The Surrender: An Erotic Memoir, about her decades-long love affair with anal sex. The Times reviewed it – a little skeptically – and, ever since then Bentley, a former ballet dancer, has been reviewing regularly for the paper, writing dismissive reviews of other women's memoirs in which she accuses them of oversharing. I don’t get it.)

Finally, I will not cyberstalk Katherine Dunn or Tabitha King in hopes of convincing them to publish new novels and will instead confine myself to the occasional plaintive blog post. (Author’s note: I understand that Dunn, author of GEEK LOVE, is maybe too busy putting the hurt on petty thieves to write much. However, Stephen King’s book “On Writing” mentioned a Tabitha King book that has never seen the light of publication. So would someone, as a New Year’s favor to her fans, publish it already? Seriously? Please?)

So there you have it: my resolutions. New Year’s greetings from Mexico, where I’m swimming, sunning, chasing the toddler and revising FLY AWAY HOME. May all of your dreams for 2010 come true!
| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares