A Moment of Jen
THE NEXT BEST THING — In Stores July 3rd!



Friday, April 23, 2010
posted by Jen at 4/23/2010 09:16:00 PM

When I sold my first book – lo these many, many years ago – I had, as every writer does, a number of hopes and dreams and secret fantasies.

Maybe it’ll be a best seller!

Maybe it’ll win a prize!

And maybe – just maybe – I’ll get to sing backup with the Rock Bottom Remainders.


The Remainders are the world’s most prominent, and only, all-author supergroup, who’ve been rocking out at bookseller conventions and concert halls since the early 1990’s. The band stars Dave Barry, Mitch Albom, Stephen King and Amy Tan and has attracted such legitimate musical talent as Bruce Springsteen, Roger McGuinn and one of my all-time favorites, the late, great Warren Zevon.

Growing up, I always wanted to be a writer…but I had rock-and-roll fantasies, of standing in front of a cheering crowd, wailing into a microphone or rocking out on a guitar.

Sadly, these dreams were killed by – and I’m about to use some very technical musical terms here – “not being very good.”

I can read music, thanks to years of piano (shout-out, Mrs. Noar!) I can carry a tune within a very limited range. I sang in choir in high school and glee club in college, but my fantasies of rocking were mostly confined to the privacy of my shower stall or, lately, Music Together classes with my two-year-old. In front of an audience of imaginary fans or drooling toddlers, I sound just fine.

A few years ago, I joined the board of the Free Library of Philadelphia which was a great way to give my time and money to a city, and an institution, that I love (and an institution that’s hit hard when the economy tanks, private donors scale back their gifts, and tax dollars dwindle).

A few months back, the board got the word that the Remainders were going on tour, and that Philadelphia would be one of the stops, with the library receiving the proceeds from ticket sales. Here it was. At last. My chance!

I bought a bunch of tickets to give away, thinking that if I was going to sing on a stage existing outside of my imagination, I’d want people there to cheer me on. I threw a little pre-party at one of my favorite spots, the Continental, because I figured that the drunker folks were, the better I’d sound.

Last night, I got on stage, introduced the band (highlight: telling Mitch Albom that he might have “Tuesdays with Morrie,” but Philadelphia has “Marley and Me,” and that somewhere in Heaven, a yellow lab is probably taking a dump in his dead professor’s slippers).

Then I sang back-up on “Da Do Ron Ron,” “Mustang Sally” and “634-5789” and “Leader of the Pack.”

I have no idea how I sounded. I don’t know whether I was in tune, or even whether my mic was on. I have no idea how I looked, although when you’re standing next to Amy Tan in a Lady Gaga-style wig, it tends to make you feel good about your own sartorial and hairstyling choices. But being up there, with a microphone in front of me and a legitimately decent band behind me was an absolute blast and truly a dream come true.

Novelist Sarah Pekkanen – I’ve mentioned her a few times – and her friend Lindsay Manes were the winning bidders for the privilege of closing the show with “Wild Thing.” We finished up with “Gloria,” and, almost twenty-four hours later I am still beaming.

Thanks to everyone who came...and for those of you who didn’t, you can learn more about the Free Library, a remarkable institution that offers an array of great author events (Anna Quindlen next Thursday night! Isabelle Allende May 4! Charlaine Harris May 5!) and programs (podcasts! Job-search coaching! Homework help!)

If you’ve got a few dollars to throw toward a worthy institution that’s been hit hard by the economic downturn, the library could use the help.

Come summer, I’ll be reading at the Free Library’s Central branch from my new book, FLY AWAY HOME, on Wednesday, July 14, at 7:30 p.m…but meanwhile, I’m at the Pennsylvania General Store in the Reading Terminal Market on Tuesday, May 4 at 6 p.m., where there will be wine, chocolate, and paperback copies of BEST FRIENDS FOREVER.

Then, on Thursday, May 13, I’m in NYC at the Park Avenue Borders at 461 Park Avenue at 7 p.m.. Hope to see lots of you East Coast readers there. Rock on!

| #



Welcome to A Moment of Jen, author Jennifer Weiner's constantly-updated take on books, baby, and news of the world. Email me at jen (a) jenniferweiner.com.

JenniferWeiner.com
Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

To order Then Came You, click on the cover




To order Fly Away Home, click on the cover




To order Best Friends Forever, click on the cover




To order Certain Girls, click on the cover




To order The Guy Not Taken, click on the cover




To order Goodnight Nobody, click on the cover:



To order Little Earthquakes, click on the cover:



To order In Her Shoes, click on the cover:



To order Good In Bed, click on the cover:



My bio
JenniferWeiner.com
Advice For Aspiring Writers

This weblog is now syndicated via this link.

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]



Jen International

Goodnight Nobody - Norway


Little Earthquakes - Norway


The Guy Not Taken - UK


Good In Bed - Japan


Good In Bed - Dutch


The Guy Not Taken (Dutch)


Goodnight, London!


Goodnight, Amsterdam!


Petit Earthquakes!


Little Earthquakes Japan


IHS Japan


GIB Norway


IHS Norway


Chaussure à son pied


Little Aardschocken


In Her Shoes - Polish


En sus Zapatos


Bueno en la Cama!


Little Earthquakes - Germany


In Her Shoes - Germany


In Her Shoes - UK


In Her Shoes - Italian


In Her Shoes - Dutch


GIB in Finnish


GIB in French


Germans love Hasselhoff and GIB:


Cannie hits Japan!:


NEW - Little Earthquakes Sweden


Cannie goes Swedish!


Cannie hits Rio!


Cannie Goes Dutch:


Polish:


Jen's Favorite Links:

All in the Family:

Throwing Things
Joe Weiner
BenderSpink

News and Media:
MediaNews
Television Without Pity

LitLife:
Moby Lives
Publisher's Weekly
Booksense
Old Hag
Beatrice
Sarah Weinman
Galley Cat
Southern Comfort

Baby Mama:
Bad Mother
Parsley


Snarkspot archives:




Powered by Blogger



Copyright 2002-2008, Jennifer Weiner

Listed on BlogShares